Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Learning Curve to Starting a Business

Did you every hear the saying "Everybody wants a job but not everybody wants to work !"

Most people would say they want to have their own business, however, not everybody wants to put in the blood, sweat, and tears to get this done.

When I was in high school my Dad had a men's clothing store. The store was open from 8 A.M to 5:30 P.M Monday to Thursday and Friday and Saturday to 9:30 P.M. Talk about a long week !

We did everything: stocking, pricing, cleaning, displays, ordering. My Dad did the tailoring and my Mom and I filled in as needed.

This led to me to getting a degree in Business Managment and I ended up teaching business for 10 years. ( I did not want to be tied down to a store for all those hours ? )

Eventually I got in involved in an MLM business. This was the best training ground for business I could have found. I did not make alot of money but I learned perseverance, people skills, goal setting, overcoming fears, and how to NOT QUIT.

It takes time to master any business. Don't expect to become a millionaire in the first month. ( Yet maybe you could be the first !). When I got involed in Internet marketing I did not know how to cut and paste. When I learned how to to do this I felt like an Internet guru !

First rule in business: Get to know your business. You are not in a race with anyone. If someone else is successful in this business, you can be also.

The inititial excitement will fade ( usually after the first month !) Then you roll up your sleeves and get started.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I love it when people say, "Yea, I'm going to be my own boss and work when I want"....The hilarous thing about that is anyone who has ever said that, has never owned their own company. You and I both know the owner is usually the hardest working person in the company. Only after years of successful business, can one afford to hire enough people to keep the business running without you. Keep up the blogging. Looking forward to reading more.

Craig Garcia

Anonymous said...

I went through the same process. Dedication is the key. And of course desire to succeed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder. It takes time and know how to make it work. Being your own boss is great. Being on the internet is even better. You can travel and still do your business. Your visitors do not need to know that you are working from the beach or skiing. As long as you have the internet it works. Havea nice day.