Friday, January 23, 2009

BEING GOOD STEWARDS OF OUR FINANCES !

As my wife and I progressed in our married life, from a life filled with debt to living debt free, we made a concerted effort to teach our kids what we have learned. Our son Jason is 31 years old and has always been good with his finances and was a saver and careful spender. He really absorbed our teachings and has done well in the area of his finances. He recently obtained a B. S. degree in computer science and did not incur any debt while working and finishing his degree.

Our daughter Michelle is 25 years old and she has had to make an effort in this area and she is now getting to understand why we have stressed debt free living. She graduated from the University of Maine last year and is starting her career as a registered nurse-debt free and with money in the bank!

I remember when she was still living at home and we would buy the no brand cereal, which was $1.50 less a box, but she did not like it. However, now that she is living on her own, the no brand cereal does taste good.

We still use coupons to save on items ( why pay more? ). I have heard people say they would not be caught dead using coupons in public. Who are they trying to impress. This is part of the process of conserving cash and living debt free.

Today I took out one of my accounts to lunch. They wanted to go to a soup and sandwich shop. The place was packed with people. What recession ? People where paying $3.90 for specialty coffee !

When I am alone I rarely eat out and will carry food bars or bagels with me and eat while I drive. I allow myself a hot chocolate from Tim Horton’s on cold mornings. A medium costs $1.53 and that is my limit for a hot drink.

Do I sound like a miser? I keep daily tabs of all the money I spend and this keeps me on track. You would be amazed at how much money you will spend without thinking and then wonder were all your money went.

Be wise in your spending and don’t spend needlessly.

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

3 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. how sensible you are with your kids .. I bet they'll bless you as parents later on .. - yes I cut my face creams in two .. so I can get out all the residue & don't waste!!

Anonymous said...

We all need to do the best we have with what we have. I cut my toothpaste tube in two when it gets to empty.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

me too!