Wednesday, January 21, 2009

OUR WE SEEING THE BIG PICTURE ?


I started out the New Year with excitement and expectation like most people did. We have a new president and new expectations and we are all optimists at heart we Americans.

Over the last weeks, I have been bombarded with unexpected expenses from house expenses, business expenses, medical expenses, travel expenses, etc. I was blessed to have the cash reserves to handle this but it had not been part of my plan at the start of the year to deplete some of my reserves.

My wife and I have been in and out of debt on four different occasions and we have developed a system to deal with unexpected emergencies and we devote a lot of time to planning our financial year in advance.

My mode of thinking was replenishing the reserves and cutting back to achieve this. The goal to replenish was good but my plan of execution was flawed. Let me explain.

I am fortunate to have a great mentor in Giovanna Garcia. We talked recently and she pointed out several factors in my thinking process that was leading me in the wrong direction. I had lost the Big picture. I was in a defensive mode instead of being in an offensive mode.

As a business man I have always been developing different businesses over the years. My recent endeavors have included building businesses on the Internet, which is a new way of business for me and has been a steep learning curve.

What Giovanna made me realize was that I was actually operating out of lack and fear ! I was not looking at the creative side of my business but was actually focusing on curtailment instead of investment. I was postponing doing what needed to be done in my Internet business.

I was focusing on replenishing my cash reserves instead of developing new streams of income, which in the long run will be more advantageous. I needed to do both but focus on increase, not stopping what I was doing to fill up my bucket.

It is so easy to lose the Big picture. Thanks to good people like Giovanna, we get back on track.

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

3 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. it's so good to hear that you've been in touch with Gio - she certainly seems to hit the appropriate spot with us.

I'm sure your ideas and business will flourish & develop now .. & well done for getting back on track

Hi Jacques .. I wanted to tick the box for reply email comments - hence the deletion!

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

It has been hard for a lot of people. Things are tight. I am glad that things are going better for you now.I hope that they stay that way. Enjoy following the dreams that you have. Thank you for helping us stay on track as well.
Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"