Sunday, January 11, 2009

TIME LOST = MONEY LOST !


One of the challenges that I struggle with the most is time management. I operate several businesses and I have specific tasks that NEED to get done. Obviously, I delegate those tasks that can be done by someone else. There are, however, those chores that require my personal attention.

We all have 24 hours in a day, so how come some people seem to get so much more done than we do? I have tried all sorts of methods: various planners, making lists and more lists and more lists, having these list on my mirrors, my planners, on my computer, etc. and nothing seemed to work.

One of the tools that I used to get out of debt was to keep a small notebook and jot down everything that I spent money on. I mean everything: newspapers, gas, food, stamps, etc. Over a period of time, this daily exercise gave me picture of where my money was going and helped me to better discipline myself in those areas that needed to be addressed.

If this worked with finances, why not time management! I started to keep track of the amount of time that I spent on each task and this provided me with an overview of my time expenditures.

Boy, was I surprised! How much time checking emails, news, none productive talking on the phone, letting other people control me by letting them get me involved in non essential tasks, ect.

Once I saw where the time was going, it was time to stop the leaks. It’s always a work in progress but I now know what is draining my time and what I need to avoid.

Try this. You might be surprised.

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips on keeping track of your time spend. A wonderful idea!
I love the photo on this post, it said a lot :-)

Thank you,
Giovanna Garcia

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Others do waste our time .. let alone us wasting our own time - and keeping a record will really help - reorganise and reprioritize - thanks for that helpful post -Hilary