Monday, January 12, 2009

TIME WASTED IS WEALTH LOST!


If you are a business person you know that you need to keep up with what is going on in your line of work. Today’s business environment is forever changing and to remain competitive we need to be on top of the curve.

For years I have had subscriptions to multiple magazines. Forbes, Fortune, Time, Entrepreneur, Business Weekly, etc. I felt I needed to be really on TOP of things.

The problem was I could not find time to read the magazines! When I did get to them, they where several weeks old and I was reading old news.

What to do? I narrowed it down to two that fit my needs: Forbes and Entrepreneur. When these come in, I immediately circle what I feel I want to read and will either cut out the article or speed read it and take notes. Problem solved and I feel I am somewhat on top of the business world.

The other news that I felt I would need ( I told myself) I could find on the Web. Bad idea! You can get lost on the Web and suffer from information overload. At times I felt I was going to be sucked into my computer.

Since I am an information junkie, I had to cut the habit. Period.

How about newspapers? Is there an unbiased newspaper in America? I don’t buy any at all.

What I am stressing is that to be super productive, we cannot know everything and we cannot spend an inordinate amount of time searching or reading everything available to us.

My advice: Be very precise on what you read and use non productive time to read: everybody goes to the bathroom sometimes, while waiting at a red light ( not while driving), waiting at appointments, while taking a snack, etc.

Enough said!

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques ..thanks for that & how true. We have a magazine I subscribe to "The Week" .. it summarises various articles (very short) from a range of journalists across the subjects of the week; it also includes (over & above business & financial) books, property, innovative ideas, a recipe, - so covers all interests & we can get more details if we need it. Your ideas are good - highlighting items to read - thanks Hilary

Anonymous said...

Hillary, your remarks are always appreciated. It helps to keep me on track. Jacques