Tuesday, February 17, 2009

ARE YOU DISCIPLINED?


One thing I have learned the hard way is to be disciplined in all areas of my life. Have I been successful all the time? No! What areas? Physical, mental, spiritual, financial, social, and family.

We need discipline in all the major areas of our lives. Time management is a discipline that applies to all the above categories. In my business, I have to make appointments several weeks in advance, keep track of what needs to be done by then, and constantly monitor my progress as I get there.

Over the years I have had to develop the discipline to plan each day in advance, each week in advance, and generally projects months in advance. At the end of March I am off to Florida for a business and family trip and I already have my list of what I need to bring for both the business part of the trip and the family part.
When the time comes up for the trip I don’t need to feel stress, as I have already planned and everything will be ready.

If you are in business or self employed you will not be able to survive if you are not disciplined in your time management. There are no short cuts or excuses!

One of my pet peeves is people that are late for appointments. I would rather be an hour early than 5 minutes late. I have a client that I have been meeting with once per month for over a year. He has never been on time for one of our scheduled appointments. I have finally solved this dilemma in this way: I show up ½ late and he is only 15 minutes late! If he wasn’t a client, I would have severed this relationship a long time ago.

What areas do you need to be disciplined in?

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Thanks for reminding us about the areas .. family, social, financial, spiritual and mental. We do need discipline to deal with these areas and make the best of our lives - we need a positive approach.

Thanks -Hilary:Be Positive Be Happy