Sunday, February 1, 2009

BEING THANKFUL FOR GOOD MEDICAL CARE: PART II



I had recently shared about the scare that my wife and I had a couple of weeks ago when she started to feel ill and we did not know what was wrong. Fortunately, the people that we dealt with at the hospital, both doctors and nurses, where extremely professional and compassionate.

With the challenges that we are facing in today’s economy, I was surprised by a recent article I read about how today’s doctors are more in debt than ever before. This is largely due to the fact that most graduating MD’s have student loans totaling an average of $180,000 upon graduating!

The average salary for a doctor was $250,000 with family doctors averaging $110,000. This is not a huge income considering the amount of time and dedication it takes to get your degree and also the debt load that you have when you get there.

If you factor in malpractice insurance and the cost of managing an office, your actual income is again reduced.

We have an aging society with increasing health care costs and we NEED good doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. With the type of stress that is involved in the medical field, we are fortunate that there are people that are called to the medical field and they labor in an area where, at times, they are not appreciated and considering the above, are not really well compensated.

Let’s be thankful for our health care professionals and let them know with a word of thanks and smile that they are appreciated!

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. don't we just .. they gave my mother an extra 2 years of life (so far) .. & I'm so pleased your wife has recovered.

The thing I find difficulty with is the fact that some care is undertaken by people who have jobs .. that last 5 or 10% of the extra common sense or care is not there .. they don't really want to be carers .. they're just working

The other thing is - if you're a professional .. you 'have to' keep up with the Jones' .. so perhaps over extending themselves

As regards malpractice .. we don't have as bad a culture over here for now .. but there's far too much covering their backs .. why can't they learn from their mistakes .. I'm going to stop now before I open up a can of worms .. ours isn't bad but it just disappoints that my standards are so high for my mother!

Anonymous said...

We all want the best for our families. I believe that accountability is needed! You are right in pointing out that not everyone is necessarily a professional but I believe
God can use anyone at the right time to perform a miracle when needed.
Appreciate your insights !