Friday, February 27, 2009

BASIC SUCCESS PRINCIPLES: PART II


Four facts of life:
1. We are all egotists.
2. We are more interested in ourselves than anyone else.
3. Every person you meet wants to feel special.
4. There is a craving in everyone for the approval of others, so that he can approve of himself.

We all need to have a good image of ourselves and there are loads of books on self esteem and such. A lot of the time, I find that we are too caught up on ourselves and if we take our eyes off of ourselves and onto other people- life is more balanced!

It is good to think well of yourself and, when you can do that, you are free to think well of others. There is no need to put someone else down to make yourself feel good.

People with low opinions of themselves are usually bully’s and they like to put people in their place. They attack first so that people will not really get to know them and their insecurities.

Our usual instinct when faced with such people is to get angry or defensive. I have found that if I make a serious effort I can find something I like about everyone and tell them so in a sincere manner.

In my line of work, I deal with a lot of lawyers and, at times, I am at the wrong end of their attacks. In a courtroom setting there is usually a lot of posturing and I have found that by treating these people with respect (whether they seem to deserve it or not) I have developed good friendships in situations which could have been acrimonious for months or years.

Help the other fellow feel better about himself. People act or fail to act largely to enhance their own ego.

Be the kind of person that people feel bad when you leave the room and not when you enter.

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatlasts

1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. thanks for these pointers .. I have in recent years .. 15 or so, since I learnt 'the trick' .. that people like to talk about themselves .. therefore as you say acknowledge them & ask about them or their family etc ..

& I like the idea of being the kind of person people want around, not the type of person they'd rather not see ..

Thanks - salient for me at the moment .. Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy