Wednesday, February 25, 2009

HOW MUCH STUFF ARE YOU KEEPING?


I travel about a 1,000 miles per week as part of my business and I am amazed by how many self storage places are being built all over the place. We have become a society of consumers that have no place to put all our stuff.

We have been conditioned to buy, buy, and buy some more! I learned several years back to make a thorough assessment of all of our belongings at the end of every year and to discard anything that was not being used. Clothes, books, TV’s, cars, you name it- it goes!

We used to try to sell things at garage sales and essentially found this to be a big waste of time for what little money we got. We have started to give things away.

This provides tangible and intangible benefits. You are in essence helping out other people and making room to receive yourself.

This fall we gave a car away. It had about 135,000 miles and was running well, however, we did not need it. We gave it to a friend who in turn gave it to his daughter in law who needed a car to get to work.

Have you ever gone into your clothes closet and seen clothes that you have not worn in years. What gives? Empty your closet and give it away.

I emptied one of my book shelves and gave well over 100 books to our local library. Once you start this process you will realize that you are actually simplifying your life.

Give, give, and give some more!

Jacques
Creating Wealth That Lasts

2 comments:

SpayNeuter 101 said...

Hey. I had one of those storage units once. You're right about the need to simplify and give.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. fortunately I don't have a house with a garage!! & my attic has been converted into loft space and I sleep up there .. so storage is fairly limited.

I do take my 'stuff' to the charity shops .. and now my mother is being cared for in a nursing centre, they have various fund raising events & I give unwanted items to them.

We definitely do not need all we've got .. a good clear out is coming I feel ..

Thanks for the post - Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy