Saturday, February 14, 2009

WHERE ARE YOU LIVING?


We all have three places to live: past, present, or future. Where are you living?

At times we live in the past and focus on all of the could of’s. What I could have done, should have done, did not do, etc. This is not a good place to live. We all have had our challenges, setbacks, loses, and, yes, victory’s. We need to learn from the past and move on. Even our victory’s can hold us back if we are always looking back to the good old days to the detriment of the future.

Speaking of the future, that’s a hard place to live also. One day I’ll take that vacation. One day I’ll spend time with my kids, wife, friends, etc. One day island is not the place to live! We postpone living in the present believing that there will be ample time in the future to do all those things we want to do. Not necessarily.

The only moment we are guaranteed is the present moment. So what to do? If you are working-work. If you are on vacation-be on vacation. If you are with your family-be with your family. I am preaching to myself.

In today’s society we are tied to our cell phones, emails, and pagers. God forbid that we should miss a phone call! What did we do before cell phones and emails? We survived obviously.

In my traditional business, I operate three offices and all my phones are forwarded to my cell phone so I do not miss any messages. I am constantly monitoring my emails. My schedule is booked weeks and months in advance. So busy! To what purpose? Are we living to work or working to live?

We must all learn to live in the present. It’s all we’ve got at this time and it’s the best place to live!

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. it's interesting how we can change our approach to life - if we're prepared to look at change & why it is definitely better to live in the present.

Yes we need to plan, but things will crop up that unsettle us .. but we can adjust if we're happy with where we're at.

Thanks - Hlary: Be Positive Be Happy