Friday, February 20, 2009

TIME MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES !


Time is our most precious commodity. We can’t make more time and once it’s gone-it’s gone. We must use this commodity wisely and we all need adjustments along the way. It’s the little things that sometimes make a big difference.

Here are a few things I have incorporated over the last years that have helped me take more control of my time.

1. I always gas up the car on my way home. I travel a lot and even if the tank is ¾ full, I make sure it is full for the next day. I can start my day without having to take time to go to a gas station. Also, living in Maine in the winter months has its challenges. If your gas tank is not full, you risk the danger of ice buildup in the gas tank, which can lead to problems.

2. I leave on time-all the time. I make sure everything is ready the night before and I give myself an extra 30 minutes to make sure I have not missed anything.

3. I arrive on time-all the time. I make sure I am early for every appointment. Is this a waste of time? Certainly not. I bring business books along to read (should I have extra time), I have a list of contacts with me that I can call, and I have the time to review notes and plan for my meetings.

4. Leave your car keys, wallet, cell phone, brief case and cash in the same place. The next day, it’s all there waiting for you. No need to rush all over the place trying to find things.

5. Always have at least 2 sets of keys for everything: cars, house, locks, etc. If you misplace something-no big deal you have another set.

6. If you are doing something important-don’t answer the phone. The phone rings to tell you someone is calling-you have a choice in the matter. If you are working on an important item, a phone call can distract you and gobble a lot of precious time. That’s why they make answering machines.

7. Invest in a good GPS system. Like I said this is an investment. If you travel as much as I do and you are on a tight schedule, getting lost is not the thing to do. I have found this little device to be a big timer saver. Not everyone is able to give good directions.

This list is a start and I think I have saved you enough time for you to take a nap! This also is a good time technique. If you are fatigued in the middle of the day or after you get home from work, take a power nap-1/2 hour to ¾ of an hour and you will feel refreshed to finish your day with a bang.

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. thanks for that .. it is .. time now - has gone by the time I finish typing this .. or even thinking about it which might be worse!).

You've given us some good tips .. and another thing I do .. is: I always like to know what may happen, or what I think is likely to happen next - so I'm prepared for it .. or I've dealt with it before it actually happens.

When my uncle was ill last year - 4 months hospital & 4 months stabilising at home .. with disability platform lift to the house, and a disabled bathroom & various other devices being put in or set up .. when he brought a question or a need up .. I'd almost certainly put that need or idea into action .. he was amazed and pleased - as he knew I was in control on his behalf & had pondered the ideas, and his needs etc ..

You are obviously extremely well organised - and can offer us some good tips.

Thank you -
Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's cool, and useful for me
How To Start A Cell Phone Business