Thursday, March 26, 2009

ARE YOU TIRED OF GOAL SETTING?


Throughout my business life I have been to countless seminars and I have read numerous books on goal setting. I have done this for years, however, I have always found it a challenge to set the long term, medium term, and short term goals.

My wife is a good student of this and I have learned from her. She likes to work with pictures and cuts pictures of what she’d like and keeps these with her. It provides a visual element. She is forever writing down goals and these materialize down the road.

I think I was over complicating everything. I make a list, review the list, and keep adding to the list. Our subconscious mind picks up on this and events start lining up.

It’s the same with New Year’s resolutions. They don’t seem to be binding and I have learned that I have to purpose in my heart and if I fall, to get back up and start over again.

Goals are really a series of small steps we make and identify along the path of life. If we don’t set our goals, we are letting someone else take control of our future.

One of my goals was to spend more time with my daughter. I was always on the road as part of my work when she was younger and I am able to redeem the time that I missed. The cruise we are going on is a goal achieved!

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. good post .. and as you say perhaps it's better not to be too structured .. particularly if you have an appointment based job .. where each day it's lists and keeping appointments on time.

Well done .. your cruise will be great with your daughter and you'll have such fun and learn so much about each other - consolidating that wonderful father -daughter relationship.

Enjoy it .. thanks
Hilary: Positive Letters