Wednesday, March 4, 2009

GETTING ALONG WITH PEOPLE!


G
My wife and I celebrated 39 years of marriage in January and for those of you who are married you know that it is always a work in progress. The interesting thing is that after 39 years of marriage we enjoy each other’s company more than ever!

My wife is a saint and she has shown patience and grace throughout our married life. We had to learn to like each other even though we loved each other.

In my line of work, I am always in contact with people and there are always people that are hard to like. There are not a lot of them, they just seem to move around a lot.

I have learned to try to respond in the opposite spirit. If someone yells at me or talks loudly- I will talk softly and in a low voice. The immediate reaction is to be angry and respond in a like manner. If you smile first, chances are people will smile back. If you look angry-you know what type of reaction to expect.

I am not saying this is easy but that it works. I heard a story about a man who got on a bus with his two children. The children were screaming and yelling and the man was looking down at his feet and not saying anything. One man on the bus got angry and yelled at him to control his children. The man suddenly looked up like he was dazed and said “ I’m sorry we just left the hospital and their mother just died.” The mood on that bus changed quickly and the man who had yelled at him was ashamed.

Keep in mind that people might be going through some serious challenges and that is why they act the way they do. Give them some slack. That’s what my wife did for me and we’re still together 39 years later!

Jacques
CreatingWealthThatLasts

1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jacques .. first well done to you both on 39 years .. especially because January was not an easy month because of illness for the family.

Yes .. as you say - you never know what's happened in others' lives .. most of us are more blessed than other people & we really should remember that .. & smile and give them some slack ..

Thanks - that's great ..
Hilary:Be Positive Be Happy